It is autumn again here, and we have been so busy eating pumpkin spice that we haven't had time to blog. Sometimes we put it in lattes, sometimes in pies, sometimes I just find myself eating entire bowls of pumpkin spice for breakfast! (A few weeks ago, the coffee shop in town gave away free drinks if you said "A touch of pumpkin" to the cashier. I made my wife say it. I just couldn't do it. Its kind of like ordering the "Rootie Tootie Fresh and Fruity" at Ihop. Its by far the best deal on the menu, and you get the most food, but most guys will pass it up to keep from having to say it. I confess I totally ripped that example off of Tim Hawkins.)
Actually, in an effort to expand my culinary tastes this year, I have decided to take on some of these pumpkin delicacies that Shelley cranks out of the kitchen day after day. I started with pumpkin bars. I actually enjoyed them. Thursday night, Shelley made pumpkin soup, which was also delicious. Before you know it, it'll be in my latte.
I guess with all this pumpkin, Shelley and I officially can call ourselves "foodies." I heard that a foodie is the new thing to be in America now, so in order to stay updated to our home culture, we will also be foodies. Based on all the people I have heard calling themselves foodies lately, I have figured out that a foodie is typically: middle class, likes good food, has watched the Food Network before and can name a chef off of the food network. Since Shelley and I fall into those 3 categories, I am officially declaring us "foodies." I will give you some examples of our foodie-ness:
1. The other day set up an igoogle page and there was a food blog automatically placed on the page. I did not remove it when I customized my igoogle page.
2. Mario Batali... BAM!!!
3. Regular Doritos... oh no... we only do Cool Ranch Doritos in our house. We're kind of foodies (I think this is how you are supposed to say it)
4. Last week I only ate American food 5 times, and I was offered tofu 6 times (ok, so it was a choice at the cafeteria, but still, I'm a kind of a foodie, so I like to eat at interesting places that most people wouldn't understand.)
5. My wife has an allrecipes recipe box.
6. Two words: pumpkin... bars... we don't do brownies anymore. We're kind of foodies.
7. One time I saw an Epicurious magazine, or Epi Mag as we foodies call it (I don't know where you buy Siberian quail, or what ginko root stuffed truffles are, but I don't have to know, I just have to throw it out in conversation to keep my foodie status)
Thats right. Totally foodies.
It feels so good to know that even though we are a world away, we can still keep up with America by being so culturally counter-cultural. It is refreshing to know that we enjoy good food. It is sad that most people don't understand what it is like to enjoy good food. But then again, if they did, being a foodie wouldn't be so special.
This blog posted from my super cool Apple product