Thursday, November 25, 2010

caramel apples

September through November of this year have been Jarred's and my weakest performances as bloggers. We have just been so busy and when we have had time to relax we have just wanted to crash and not think about typing, but no fears, if you haven't noticed yet, I am in the process of trying to catch you up on our lives pretty well....

I have heard from a few friends over the past year that if you heat a can of sweetened condensed milk long enough it turns into caramel. Intriguing, no? And since we can't get caramel here I thought it was worth the try. So Wednesday I took it upon myself to put this supposed theory to the test. The only caution I found online was that sometimes the metal cans explode. Yes, explode. And this was enough to make Jarred think I had gone insane for even wanting to try it. They also said don't use cans that have a pop top, but that's all I could find, so I went for it anyways. I loaded up our crockpot anyways with a can of sweetened condensed milk with the label removed on a plate and water all the way to the top, being sure to cover the can.

And ELEVEN hours later.... we had CARAMEL. And what is there to do with a bowl of caramel in the fall except to make CARAMEL APPLES! YUM!
Related Posts with Thumbnails