Monday, February 1, 2010

P90X

My wife is a kind woman. She loves me better than I ever could have imagined. Sometimes love hurts worse than I ever could imagine. Rewind to Christmas morning 2009. I am awake and overjoyed at the prospect of exchanging gifts with my blushing Christmas bride for the first time as husband and wife. The package looked harmless. It was small and rectangular, and I eagerly unwrapped its contents to discover this little gem:

For many of you in America, I need not say more. P90X is apparently the workout program right now. Well, last week I started this program. And that is where the whole love hurts part comes in. Let me just start by explaining that I am not new to working out. When I graduated from UNC, I had a double major in business administration and Lenoir Dining Hall where I proudly gained a chunky 39 pounds. My doctor informed me that apparently 189 is not an appropriate weight for 5'10" unless you are a high school football player, and so started a long process of working out. I joined a gym, read Men's Health, tried a LOT of different workout programs and lost the college weight. After I moved to East Asia, there were no gyms or workout places, so I picked up running and biking and lost even more weight. All that to say I'm not new to working out and nutrition. Never have I tried anything like this.

Luckily, Shelley has decided to join me for this ride through all 7 layers of Hell, and we hurt together. Let me give you the rundown: Day 1, do a billion pushups and a billion pullups (neither of which I can do a billion of...) for an hour. After that is done, immediately do an insane ab workout (which I confess Shelley can smoke me in). Then go home and cry. Day 2, a fancy term called "plyometrics" which basically translates to jumping and squatting until your legs fall off. That way you can make sure to not only not be able to lift your arms to shampoo your hair in the shower after day 1, but now you can't bend OR lift your legs to wash your feet. Day 3, arms and shoulders for an hour, followed by watching your wife smoke you in said miserable ab workout again. Day 4, my least favorite day of the week- yoga. Who knew that skinny people in stretch pants with Eastern mystic mantras could make my life so miserable. Now all those parts that I couldn't move earlier are permanently disfigured from stretches that a human body was never designed to do. Day 5, legs and more pullups followed by the crazy ab workout to remind you that day 1 is only 3 days away. Day 6, kenpo karate for an hour. Day 7, a rest day to reflect on what you just put your body through and what's still to come. We still have 12 weeks on this nonsense to go.

"It is guaranteed to change your body." Well no joke! If you can just survive 90 days of this. We would put up before and after pictures, but that would just be ridiculous, so we'll just say that after one week, some friends here have decided to purchase the DVDs and try the program themselves. We must look goooooood. Now I'm going to crawl back into the fetal position and wait for week 2 day 3.
Related Posts with Thumbnails