Right after we got cable, the US lost to Ghana, and now that the semifinals are here, all games are at 2:30 AM. Since we are not European or South American, we won't be watching anymore World Cup games. At least not live. I am not sure what to do with the remaining 11 months and 1.5 weeks of our digital cable. I could watch the ping pong and badminton channel...
I had an opportunity to teach some of our East Asian neighbors how to golf last week. We went to eat Thai food together, and then bought some buckets of balls at the driving range and I gave free lessons. The driver they rented to us was from the early 90s, so I spent a lot of the time offering free lessons to the rich guys around us in exchange for them letting me hit their 500 dollar drivers. It was a great time.
We have said goodbye to 2 of our neighbors in the past week. That has been really difficult for Shel and I. In all the time I have lived here, I have never been closer to an East Asian before. They are truly friends, and luckily we'll get to travel to see them from time to time. Maximus has lost 2 of his favorite uncles, though I don't think he realizes it.
We are getting ready to travel to the big city of Hong Kong! I am having my wisdom teeth pulled there. East Asia's dental offices aren't quite up to speed and skill, especially if it involves sticking an IV in me to go to sleep. Luckily, I can have my wisdom teeth pulled by an American oral surgeon in Hong Kong. Unfortunately, it will cost the same as in America, which will be true of everything in Hong Kong. We'll have to stay for 9 days for the follow up appointment afterwards, which means we'll get to see a lot of Hong Kong. That's okay with us. We've heard about organized streets, grocery stores, California Pizza Kitchen, hiking, and the beach all available to us. That will be a nice break, even if it does involved being stuck in bed with gauze in your mouth for a day or 2.
Shelley has a summer time to do list. I don't know what's on the list, I just know its there. When my wife gets in her mind to do something, I have learned to stay out of her way until asked for help. On that list I'm sure is replacing both bathroom doors in our apartment, which broke in a 2 week period. One was broken on purpose, when the knob quit working and Shelley was locked in the bathroom. After trying several different tricks, I ended up kicking the door in, which being a plastic door, meant destroying the door and frame at the same time. The other door was taken care of by Maximus, who scratched a huge chunk off of it out of excitement when we came in the door. He gets excited when he knows he is about to be let out of the guest bathroom/his room when we are gone.
That is a short update. We'll be sure to post lots of pictures when in Hong Kong. My camera has been out of battery for a while and I haven't taken the time to charge it. Now that the school year is ending, life will be a little less hectic and things like keeping the camera batteries charged and taking pictures will move up on the priority list.