Monday, July 12, 2010

HK Night 1

Well, we made it safely to Hong Kong today. We haven't taken any pictures yet, but we will be sure to take plenty tomorrow to post. Our first impression of Hong Kong is that it is North Carolina/Virginia hot and humid. We live at 6,000+ feet, so even when it gets above 80, which is rarely does, it is a dry heat. I forgot what it was like to choke on the thick air.

It took us a good while to get to our hostel. For one, we can't speak the dialect here. I thought that wouldn't matter since this place was British owned forever, but none of the cab drivers understood my English, so we ended up just taking the subway, which was probably quicker anyway. Our cell phones don't work here either, so we have yet to track down Josh and Danielle who came in on an earlier flight than us and we're staying in the same hostel!

Either way, we finally got checked in around 8:15 and went out looking for some dinner. The first thing you see when you walk out of our hostel is a giant Outback Steakhouse sign, but being so hot, I didn't want to melt into a pile of cow grease on the walk back to the hostel, so we went for lighter fare. Only we couldn't find any. We finally settled... actually settled isn't the right word, we went for a corn dog and cheese fries with a strawberry banana smoothie... which i was willing to melt into grease for. We followed that up with a trip to the grocery store. The following purchases were made with little thought: deli ham, deli cheese, sandwich bread, tropicana orange juice, fresh milk. Why am I telling you so much about our culinary choices in such detail... particularly boring culinary choices you might ask? BECAUSE WE CAN'T GET ANY OF THIS STUFF WHERE WE LIVE!!! Who would have thought that honey ham and kraft singles, a corn dog, or a strawberry banana smoothie would be blogworthy? They were certainly the highlight of my day.

Embarassing moment of the day- on the elevator in our hostel, two European guys got on. They stared at my shirt, and asked "I'm sorry, which team is that?" I was wearing my American soccer jersey. I told them "The US" to which they replied "like... the national team?" I said "yeah, out in the second round. But better than last time" to which they laughed and got off the elevator. Shelley claims they laughed because they didn't understand English. I think they laughed because I was actually wearing an American soccer jersey. It was awkward nonetheless, but I think I stood up for Donovan well.
Related Posts with Thumbnails