Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bachelor weekend

This past weekend, my friend Josh, and I left our wives in the town to take our friend Graham to our capital city to give him a taste of the real big city life in East Asia. We had a great time visiting some world renown places and eating at world renown restaurants (read Outback, Pizza Hut, Starbucks, Subway, and McDonald's). We also shopped at world renown stores (can't go to a city with an H&M without returning with something for your wife) and purchased some world renown name brand knock-off clothing and pearls (even though Shelley didn't go, it was still a good weekend for her). Let me give you a sample conversation with a saleslady at these knock off clothing places:

saleslady: OK SIR YOU WANT SHOE I GIVE CHEAPER FOR YOU YOU COME LOOK OKAY?
me: Do you have this sweater in a medium?
saleslady: medium have. here you look. this medium.
me: this is an extra large. you see where it says XL on the tag?
saleslady: oh yes. this-a-extra large. You want extra large?
me: no, I want a medium
saleslady: ok medium have. here you look.
me: that's not the same color.
saleslady: ok this a color.
me: that's not the same sweater
saleslady: ok you wait here just-a-one moment. i bring you
wait for 2 minutes
saleslady: ok here how much?
me: you tell me how much.
saleslady: ok. Usual give this-a-price (types 500 into a calculator) but since you friend I only give this price (types in 240).
me: really. tell me how much this really is.
saleslady: ok. I give cheaper for you. Because you speak language I give you this-a-price (150 ... looks at blank stare on my face) ok how much you want. you tell me how much you will pay.
me: I will pay 40.
saleslady: YOU JOKE ME!? 40! Sir I tell you 40 I cannot give. How much?
me: you tell me how much
saleslady: first i give you price then give you lower now you give me higher
me: first you give me lower.
saleslady: ok because you live in East Asia I give you this-a-price (types in 90)
me: 50
saleslady: 85 final offer
me: 60 final offer
saleslady: ok I give you final price. I give you cheaper. I give you 82.
me: 65
saleslady: 80
me: 75 take it or leave it.
saleslady: SIR YOU JOKE ME? I NO GIVE YOU BAD PRICE! ok take.

With the exception of a bad chest cold, it was an awesome way to end the week with one of the greatest friends that I have. Long Han, it was so much fun showing you our life here, and we are so grateful for your friendship! You were a real trooper, not backing down from any food, language, or cultural challenges presented. We hope you had just as good of a time as we did hosting you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails